Vegan, Gluten-Free Pecan Pie
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 10-15 minutes
Yields: 6 servings
- 1/2 cup coconut water
- 1/2 cup raw pecans (plus additional pecans to use as a garnish)
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup unsweetened, tart dried cherries
- 2 tbsps maple syrup
- 3/4 cup raw almonds
- 1/2 cup oat flour
- 3 tbsps maple syrup
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Make the crust by grinding the almonds in a food processor until fine (like sand).
- Add the oat flour, maple syrup, coconut oil, and salt.
- Blend until a dough forms.
- Add the oats and pulse until they are finely chopped and the dough is sticky. (It’s okay if you can still see the oats and there’s some texture.)
- Lightly grease a 9″ baking pan with coconut oil. Put the dough in the pan and press the mixture firmly into the pan starting with the middle then moving outward along the side of the pie dish. Press the crumbs into the dish to form a crust.
- Poke fork holes in the bottom of the crust, then bake uncovered for 10-13 minutes until lightly golden.
- Set aside and cool for 15 minutes while you make the filling.
- In a high-speed blender, combine all of the filling ingredients and blend until smooth. Spoon the mixture into the pie crust.
- Garnish with 1/2 cup raw pecans, whole or chopped.
- Freeze or refrigerate the pie in order to set the filling. At least 45 minutes in a freezer.
Credit: Heather Neufeld, 2014