Black-Eyed Pea Salad
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Prep Notes: Bean Soaking Time: 4-8 hours
Cooking Time: 40 minutes
Yields: 4 servings
- 1 cup black-eyed peas
- 2-3 cups water
- 1 tbsp whole grain or dijon mustard
- juice of 1/2 lime
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsps extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup sun-dried tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup parsley, diced
- 1/2 tsp sea salt, or more to taste
- lettuce, arugula or spinach leaves (optional)
- If using dried peas, pour the black-eyed peas into a bowl and cover with fresh water. Leave to soak for at least 4 hours, preferably overnight.
- Rinse and drain beans. Add beans and water in a pot with a lid and bring to a boil. The water should be about one inch higher than the beans. Once boiling, reduce to a simmer, tilting the lid slightly to allow steam to escape and leave to cook for about 40 minutes or until tender. Add more water, if necessary, until beans are tender.
- Drain beans. To make the dressing, whisk together the mustard, lime juice, vinegar, salt and oil in a bowl.
- In a large bowl, combine the beans, sun-dried tomatoes, and parsley. Pour some of the dressing over the beans (about half) and mix well. Add more dressing and/or sea salt to taste. This salad is delicious on its own or served over lettuce, arugula or spinach leaves. You can toss the greens with any leftover dressing or with a little more olive oil.